Thursday, August 21, 2008

Studio Show-n-Tell

I can't always show what I'm working on in the moment because of client confidentiality, but I thought I'd share some snapshots of my studio from last week, with some snippets about what I've been working on lately:


1) Beaded bookmarks that I'm in the middle of stringing to go with new bookplates.

2) Just some of the Petite Press projects I have in progress, each in its own shoebox.

3) Sketches for a children's educational illustration assignment. I finished the final art this week (digital this time).

4) Personalized letterpress bookplates to be printed for a customer in Louisiana.

5) The big window that looks out on the south flower garden in our yard.

6) Logo project for Maggie, my rep.

7) The painting for another album cover for Jim Cosgrove.

8) That mermaid painting I haven't had a chance to work on since the last post!

9) Sketches for an updated mascot for my daughter's school.

10) My big messy bulletin board with sketches and paintings from recent projects. You should see my cousin Mady's "color board" ... it's amazing.

11) Illustration for the cover of the next issue of FPM.

12) iTunes spinning my favorite album of the moment, "Smoke Rings," by Dri (who happens to be from Lawrence).

13) Paint, paint, and more paint.

14) Paper, paper, and more paper.

15) Photo of my grandfather at his Linotype machine in the 1980s.

16) Presentation boards for a new logo project at the AAFP.

17) My bulletin board part 2, complete with part of a paper replica of Jeremy's Muffler.

18) My two favorite paintings from Picky Mrs. Pickle.

19) The typewriter my dad wrote his college papers on, which my daughter and I have been using lately to type secret notes to each other.

20) Some lovely promo postcards sent from other illustrators over the years.

21) Men's "Thank You" cards in the process of being assembled.

22) The discarded desk and chair which I found curbside a couple of streets over one afternoon and couldn't pass up. A big thank you to Estelle who helped me heave them into my car. I have plans to refinish the desk... someday.

My letterpress is downstairs, in the studio "annex" -- I'll post some photos of it on the Petite Press blog someday soon.

10 comments:

  1. OH! this work-in-progress list makes my head spin. how you do all you do, so beautifully, and make it look effortless is beyond me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could say the same thing about you, Aimee! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love all your shoe boxes! and wow that is a LOT of shoe boxes!

    also love your secret note station w/ E. i bet she loves that.

    there's so much beauty and detail in your space.

    that photo of your grandfather is a treasure.

    can't wait for studio annex post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. visiting for the first time via heather's blog. (i love peeking into other artists' work spaces! thank you for sharing yours.) keeping your projects in shoe boxes is such a clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's like a puzzle -- try to guess which project Christy is describing. I think I saw something I recognized...

    ReplyDelete
  6. whoosh. what a whirlwind of a visual to-do list! would be a great exercise for me to try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess I'm happiest when I'm busy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Christy - very cool blog. I discovered your blog through Mike's blog. He tagged me, you tagged him, somebody tagged you - it's working.

    Great idea for a post. It's kind of like looking through someone's medicine chest - with their permission, of course. And your space is full of so many cool things.

    I'll drop by again very soon. Hope life is good in Christy-land.

    -doug

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Doug. It's good to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete