Thursday, June 19, 2008

Mermaids - Part 1

The other day, E asked me to draw her a mermaid. I realized then that I've ever done a mermaid for a client before. So I'm going to do one for me. Actually, for E -- I promised she can hang it up in her room when it's done. At any rate, I figured this would be a good project to show how my paintings look at various stages of completion. Step 1, of course, is the rough sketch:

After letting it sit for a while, I came back and decided that it might be more interesting if one of the girls was upside down:

I liked that better, so now I've transferred my sketch with graphite to my watercolor paper. Time to paint!

2 comments:

  1. lucky me - i got to see the first lines of that beautiful mermaid emerge! i love watching objects sail out of your pencil so magically! xoxo aimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hope you'll share the watercolor stage too!
    yes they look very playful one up and one upside down, i like it too! :)

    ReplyDelete